Saturday, June 14, 2008

Family quality time

My girls haven't had a lot of genealogy experiences but in December 2002 while on Christmas break we did make a detour on our way to Panama City, Florida to visit Clay County Alabama.


Mary's relatives on the Glenn side had settled in the area in the 1830s and I wanted to see if we could locate the old family cemetery.


Kristen and Laura now claim they were asleep in the back seat when we stopped at the old Sardis Baptist Church Cemetery and didn't want to get out of the car. I don't know, they look like they were having a good time don't they?




We located the graves of several of their ancestors, including this one of William Glenn who was born in 1798. His marker has broken and it was put back in the ground in a way that you can no longer read the bottom of it. His grandfather, David Glen was a Revolutionary War Colonel but died soon after the war ended and his service can no longer be documented. I might do more research on his military service but my girls have 5-6 other revolutionary war patriots in their family tree if they ever want to join the DAR.

2 comments:

kristen said...

Nice blogging, Dad! Anytime you need my editorial services, you know where to find me.

I like the one about the shipwreck.

Mark Green said...

I will keep that be sure to keep your number's handy.