Sunday, September 5, 2010

Search for the killer

My wife's aunt by marriage, Geneva Fay Elkins Glenn Honeycutt was murdered while standing on her front porch in Abilene, Texas on June 17, 1972.

Mary had never met her and we really didn't know anything about her. My wife's uncle had been shot and killed himself in 1961 and Geneva remarried. They had a son, Ronald Eugene Glenn but after his father's death he was adopted by the new husband so there was no contact with him either.

The Abilene paper has a lot of the old newspapers articles online now and I found several about the murder. The man who shot her, Arthur Kinard Cherry was convicted of Murder with Malice and sentenced to 40 years in prison.

He was 68 years old when sent to prison so even though his sentence is about up, I suspect he didn't live to see the outside of the bars. I haven't been able to find a record yet of what happened to him. He is not listed in the Texas prisoner register and I haven't found a death record or any other trace of him.

No comments: