Friday, January 27, 2012

This Guy will have a marker soon

Guy Fulford was my grandfather's first cousin. He was a fisherman in Cortez, Florida and was born in 1894, the son of Nathan Hooker Fulford and Betty Manson Whitehurst Fulford. Guy served in the Navy during WWI and I noticed when I surveyed Palma Sola Cemetery in Bradenton, Florida ten years ago that he didn't have a marker on his grave.


Guy died in 1942 and his grave has a large cement vault over it but no marker other than a small funeral home temporary marker that has been there for almost 70 years. Unfortunately none of the family members could remember when in 1942 he died so I couldn't order a marker for his grave.


I don't like having to pay for research so I tried to locate a newspaper obituary without any success. I found him listed on a index of the Tampa Tribune for December 4, 1942 but couldn't find the actual paper. I finally broke down and ordered the death certificate from the State. It shows he died on December 3, 1942 as a result of Coronary Thrombosis. The death certificate said he and his wife Mamie Giddins Fulford were divorced, a fact I didn't know. His sister Susie Fulford Guthrie gave the personal information on the record.


So now we will get a marker for him.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Davis Angus said...

i am looking for a grave site that I almost know doesn't exist down around Wachula or Bowling Green. If I did find it, I would put a marker on it. A great uncle of mine and BIL to your Aunt Melissa Paulk that married Henry Davis.

Mark Green said...

Who is it that you are looking for?