Sunday, March 20, 2011

MIA no longer

I wrote about my great great uncle, William Burgess Fulford a while back. He was born in 1843 and served in the CSA during the Civil War. He enlisted in the 2nd North Carolina Infantry on June 3, 1861 was wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville in 1863. He was captured and held as a POW at Point Lookout Maryland for two years. My wife and I visited Point Lookout last year while on vacation. It is amazing William Fulford survived two years there.

He later ended up in Hillsborough County Florida where I found him on the 1910 census. I have never been able to find anything about him from the end of the Civil War until he showed up on that 1910 census, listed as a sewing machine machinist. The census said he was a widower but I don't know if he ever had any children.

I lost him after that 1910 census and now only by accident have found out what happened to him.

A member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans from Jacksonville, FL wrote me recently about the memorial I put online for his brother Stephen Fulford. They wanted me to add his military service record which I did. They are documenting the place of final rest for as many CSA vets as they can find.

Looking at the Jacksonville SCV web page I noticed a grave listing for William Burgest Fulford. My great uncle's name had been misspelled with a T at the end of some military records so I looked further at the information they had and discovered it was the same person. Burgess is a family name, he signed his civil war pension with it and so I know it is the correct way to spell his middle name.

I also located a December 25, 1924 death certificate for W.B. Fulford in Duval County Florida records showing his last residence was the Old Confederate Soldiers Home. It had his correct identification, place of birth and date of death.

I then found him on the 1920 census in Jacksonville, although the name was spelled Folfore.

The Old Confederate Soldiers Home was a seven room house that cared for about 10-12 aging veterans. It closed in 1938 with the death of the last CW vet. I am trying to determine if the patient records were saved when it closed.

I would like to find additional information about William Burgess Fulford to clear up what happened during all those missing years. He was buried in the Old City Cemetery in Jacksonville, Florida but they again got his name wrong on the marker.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Davis Passmore Angus said...

Mark, I was so happy to see this. It reminds me of my search for the two oldest Davis boys of Henry Davis and Mary Ann Boon. Their son Henry married Malisa Paulk, as you know.

Anyway, I finally found the two oldest boys Oren and John, both died in the war, with the assistance of a gentleman that had catalogued (?) and wrote several volumes about the Florida Civil War Soldiers. JOhn is died in Kentucky and Oren is buried in a civil war cemetary in Georgia. Like yours, Orens name was misspelled in the online listing.

I also found the death of their BIL that was a big mystery in some scraps of old records that I had.

Wonderful news.